Saturday, June 23, 2007

The skyscraper-escalator-shopping-dessert maze

Hong Kong is even bigger and more modern than I expected. The skyscrapers and high-rise apartment buildings extend as far as the eye can see, the metro (MTR) is extremely clean and efficient, and the people have excellent taste in fashion. The guys here actually put effort into the way they look, and they look hot. Even the construction workers sport Pumas and stylish eyeglasses. I can't compete with the beautiful women here (who never seem to sweat). Shopping is a popular pastime, and temptation looms every few feet. In the area where I'm staying (Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon) there are probably hundreds of stores with trendy clothes and shoes (as well as electronics) at reasonable prices on every block, and they stay open late. Unfortunately, almost nothing below the waistline fits me. The largest size for women's clothes is a US 10 (a narrow-hipped 10), and the largest size for women's shoes is US 9. At some of the cheaper places you can't even try the clothes on. It's frustrating. But at least I have delicious food to console me (and make me even fatter), especially desserts such as fresh mango in coconut juice with black sticky rice and - my old friend - bird's nest. Or you can get desserts with aloe jelly or harsmar jelly.
There's lots of fun stuff to try here. I am a little lonely though. Yesterday morning I had dim sum by myself. No one should *ever* go to dim sum by themself. It is depressing! Unlike in Vietnam, not many people here will talk to me. They aren't rude, they're just not outgoing. The only people who will really talk to me are the Indian/Pakistani guys on the street trying to sell me tailoring or "copywatch." (No, I do not want "copywatch.")
Anyway, I've done plenty in HK besides shopping. I took the Star Ferry over to Central, rode the Midlevels escalators (a series of escalators that extends about 10 blocks - downhill in the morning rush hour and uphill afterward), and took the tram up to the Peak, with spectactular views of the skyline. I also visited Lantau Island to see the Big (bronze) Buddha, explored the street markets in Mongkok (one of the most densely populated areas in the world), bargained for jade jewelry at the Jade Market, got a 2-hour foot massage (1 hour each foot), and went to the beach at Shek O (on Hong Kong Island), where I got a nice, uneven, splotchy sunburn. Perhaps I now need to invest in the many "whitening" skin products popular in Asia. I had planned to do some hiking, but it is just too hot and humid now, and I don't think it's wise to go off hiking by myself - I might get eaten by a dragon. Oh yeah, I went to the Wong Tai Sin temple, where I met with a fortune teller/Chinese astrologist. He politely informed me that in the future I am going to get divorced. That's great...
It is very safe and easy to get around here, although the maze of escalators, pedestrian subways, overpasses, alleyways, and layers of signs can be confusing. Don't count on using the 7-11 as a landmark, because there is seriously one on every block.
Sorry for the lack of photos to go with this post, but I am encountering technical difficulties again in that area... but no worries. Tomorrow I fly to Tokyo!!! Waku waku!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have a great time in Tokyo...maybe people will be a bit friendlier! And those fortune tellers...what do they know? Be safe. By the way, if you happen to bring one of those darling children home...will you bring one for me? :)
Janet B.