Monday, July 16, 2007

Earthquake!

Two earthquakes hit Japan yesterday. I felt a tremor around 5 PM in Osaka - maybe an aftershock. So I have been exposed to both a typhoon and earthquake now! I only experienced some wind and rain from the typhoon though. It has passed, although it's still very humid here. I'm starting to get a little burnt out on traveling and, frankly, I am starting to run out of money. I think I planned too much time in Japan, especially Osaka. There is not much to do here other than shop and eat, the famous dishes being okonomiyaki and takoyaki (doughy octopus balls). Osaka is popularly associated with the phrase kuidaore, meaning "eat until you drop." Tonight though I will have healthy vegetarian food at a buddhist temple in nearby Koyasan (Mt. Koya). I'll also be staying overnight at the temple. I'm hoping this excursion will give me a second wind and recharge my batteries in preparation for Taipei later this week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been spending all your money on sheep lube and octopus balls?

-MA

Anonymous said...

Emily,
Just heard about the earthquake
and wondering if you are safe.
What a brave girl you are!
I admire your free spirit to travel
so far away and by yourself.
Enjoying reading all about your
adventures and esp., all the exotic
foods. I bet the fruit is great!
Stay well and have a great time.
Betty Bultman

Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,
Glad to hear you are OK after the earthquakes. Janet and I looked at the map yesterday and concluded that you were not close enough to be in danger. A week from tonight you should be in LA with your brother Nicholas and then we'll see you a few days later!! Enjoy the rest of your trip.
We love you!

Mom and Dad

Emily said...

MA, honestly my yen has been going towards cosmetic and pharmacy products that I mistakenly purchase thinking they are one thing, only to find out that they are something different, for example, exfoliating face wash labeled as 'relaxing gel'. Also, it has been going towards cups of coffee purchased at trendy cafes, for which there are no free refills. And sheep lube.

Betty, actually there is not a lot of fresh fruit in Japan, and I am missing it. As a Randall, it built into my genetic code that I need a certain number of fresh fruits per day, especially at breakfast, versus... fish and miso for breakfast!

skedaddle said...

I hope you are enjoying the octopus balls! I am sure that you have been there by now, but the castle in Osaka is worth seeing. There is also a boat tour you can go on, too, if you have time. And of course my all time favorite - karaoke!!!! Enjoy your stay in Osaka, and eats some good food!