Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Photos and other randomness

Deaf girls at Nguyen Nga Special Education Center in Qui Nhon



Rice paddy near Hoi An




deserted beach at Dai Lanh





I finally got some photos off my camera - I know the blog really needs them!! I will try to post a big batch to my Flickr photo stream soon. I'm in an Internet cafe now and it's closing. I hope that soon you will be able to look at my photos while sniffing some fish sauce and honking a horn incessantly and feel that you're right here with me. I mean that in the best possible way. The pictures don't do justice to the fantastic scenes I'm seeing here though. The colors are so vibrant and the people are really interesting and for the most part friendly. In some places they just want you to buy something ("Hello, Madam! You buy something!!" while shoving postcards, pineapple, and Mentos at you) but in the countryside and smaller towns they enjoy saying hello and practicing their English with you, no purchased required. Sometimes they stare but I don't mind it too much. My roomate and I drew an audience of teenage boys on the beach in Qui Nohn yesterday. Vietnamese women are too shy to wear bikinis - most swim in a t-shirt and shorts or capris. So a girl in a bikini (and a pale one at that) is a real treat. But - I found out 2 nights ago in Nha Trang, they do not dress modestly in discoteques. I went to one and was really surprised by the hoochie-mama-ness (sorry, no photos of this). They must change in the bathroom and put on their makeup when they get there, because they don't look like that while riding on their motorbike.



BTW, Is anyone having trouble getting the blog page to load? I am, but it seems I can still post.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blog is loading fine here. Dad leaves for Mass. on the 7th and returns on the 13th. thanks for keeping us informed. We love you.

Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Nice to see some photos being uploaded in your blog!
Looks very nice. Glad to see you having one heck of a trip.
Be safe the rest of the way and I will see you soon here in Tokyo!

Steven Negishi